Friday, June 19, 2015

1DP5DT

1DP5DT - 06/17/2015

1DP5DT was interesting. I didn't feel much in the morning. It was in the afternoon that the cramps started. Steady, dull cramping which began in my uterus and eventually traveled down to my legs. It was reminiscent of my usual period pains, and it was pretty obnoxious. It was distracting and painful and I just wanted it to go away. Even though I knew deep down that feeling this way may indicate implantation, but I didn't want to get myself too excited.

Since I didn't want to take any of my usual pain meds while my little embryos were getting cozy, I emailed my REs office and asked if I could use my heating pad on low. I figured that since I woke up from the transfer and had a nice cozy heating pad on my stomach yesterday, that they would give me the green light to snuggle up with one again.

I received a reply that clearly stated I was not advised to use a heating pad at any level as it could harm the embryos. The minute I read this my heart stopped. Instantly, I thought waking up with a heating pad the day before was a terrible oversight made by distracted nurses and I had inadvertently boiled my embryos to death before they ever had a chance to implant (dark, I know).

I quickly responded with my concerns. While waiting for a response, I feverishly searched Google for some sort of answer. Google I might add is not an IVFer's best friend,  while you can pretty much always find something positive that supports the subject  you are researching,  you can equally find something that completely shuts your positivity down and crushes your dreams within seconds. Use it at your own risk ladies.

Anyhow, my frienemy Google told me that under no circumstances should one ever use a heating pad post transfer......I about lost my shit! How could this be over before it even started? As I neared  a breakdown an email popped up in my inbox from my REs office which explained that it was ok to use a heating pad the day of the transfer as the embryos have not yet implanted at that point. Therefore, there was no risk for Thing 1 and Thing 2 (I have always liked Dr. Seuss so lets go with those names for now). What a relief! Crisis averted.

My nurse said it was safe to take Tylenol or Norco for pain if necessary but I tried to hold of on that as I did not want to dope up my kids and make them think twice about implanting themselves into my nice fluffy lining.

For hours I just sat there in pain. It wasn't until about 8pm that I finally figured it would be better to take a Tylenol (just one, not two) and help ease the pain, instead of hurting and stressing my body out when it was supposed to be zen and creating a happy home. I reluctantly took the pill and felt the sweet relief within the hour. I was able to fall asleep shortly after that and have not felt any of the same pain since.

Also taking place on 1DP5DT was a conference call with my RE to discuss how the transfer went. She wasn't available to come by and talk to us after the procedure which I thought was strange but that is neither here nor there.

RE stated that she was happy with how smoothly the process went given how difficult the previous ones had been. She was pretty straightforward in telling me that did have to use a tenaculum, but did so without traumatizing my insides and causing unnecessary blood lost and she used a soft catheter to easily place Thing 1 and Thing 2 in their new home for the next nine months.

And now here's the fun part of the conversation. I decided to be daring and ask my RE what my odds were for getting prego given the stellar quality of the embryos we transferred. I was expecting her to deflect the question and move on to something else as she usually doesn't indulge me in those types of things but she nearly knocked my socks off when she said......."I give it a 60-70 percent chance of working." WHAT!?! In the IVF world, those kinds of odds are huge. That totally made my day.

And then I realized........This could really happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment